Monday, December 8, 2014

Week #16 - Seeing Beyond the Mark

First of all, our investigators Ashley and Angel are GETTING MARRIED! They are getting their license today and then will be getting married on Saturday and then baptized right afterwards. Ashley often remarks that she is more excited for the baptism than the wedding! :) 

We also had a baptism this Sunday. Her name is Rosa. She is from Dominican Republic and was being taught there because her boyfriend, one of our members, referred her. She accepted the gospel with open arms. Her life has prepared her for this exact moment. We invited her to be baptized on the 24th in DR but she wanted to get baptized THIS Sunday. She truly has amazing spiritual gifts. She told me that she could read our hearts...and mine was tranquility. I have a peaceful heart. I needed it because we forgot to fill up the font! Let's just say that the Elders and members were filling up pitchers and coolers and dumping them in the font. It usually takes about 2 hours to fill....we finished in an hour. At the baptism, she was so excited. After the baptism she got up to bear her testimony...it was so powerful. She just started crying. She mentioned how she was being prepared by her father in heaven for such a long time and how this has changed her life. I LOVE THIS MISSION!

 We had the coolest Harvest miracle too. We didn't have 8 by Wednesday which is a rule and so we were driving home and decided to stop at a trailer park down the street from us at 9:10 and get two more blessings. We got out, started knocking and FOUND! 2 in 15 minutes. That is basically unthinkable. Our Father in Heaven loves us!

We also had another cool miracle. One of our investigators that we had dropped a while ago because he was never home lived super close to a lady that had asked us to come pray with her that morning. We prayed beforehand to see if we were supposed to go because we weren't sure if she would even be there but felt that we should. We went on our way and passed by the house. SERVANDO WAS HOME but the lady was not. We went over to his house, he welcomed us in with a smile and we had a lesson that changed everything. He is going to get baptized before the end of the year. :) 

In the Book of Mormon this week I learned about the greatness of looking beyond the mark. In Jacob 4:14 it talks about all the things that happened to the people because they became blind and because they looked beyond Jesus Christ.  I have learned that when we do look beyond our Savior, all we see is unsuccessful days and really hard times. But when the Savior becomes a "filter" on our minds we are open to seeing all the miracles, blessings, and joy that the Lord is waiting for us and is truly putting in our lives. I love the talk by Neal A Maxwell  called Willing to Submit. It brings to light Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego. They were cast into the fire right? While they are to be commended for trusting in the Lord, my favorite part is "But if not". So often we have plans for ourselves in our lives. But the Lord has a different plan. If we are looking beyond the mark, everything that we want for ourselves might seem to go wrong...but in actuality...it's just "But if not" moment where the Lord is taking our lives onto the path that He wants for them, the BETTER path. It's the same way with our investigators. I just need to let the Lord guide them on the path He needs for them to be on and to stop being so beat up when they drop us. I take it REALLY hard when the investigators don't stick around but the Lord is showing us that sometimes...I need to let Him direct the decisions :)  

Miracle: My miracle this week is very individual. We were out Harvesting on Sunday and we met a lady named Desiree. She was telling us about her life and things that were going on that she wanted us to include in the prayer. I was struck with the realization that this woman...she was my "person". Everyone always says that there is someone waiting for you in your mission. I knew that this lady was one of mine. She was from Mexico, getting over an addiction, but wanted to be baptized. SHE IS AMAZING. In that moment, lines from a blessing I received came to mind. It says that I will bring hope to others and that will help them to see that this life isn't just made up with dark and hard times but there will always be sunshine. That despite my weaknesses, I will be able to help them overcome theirs. I had many doubt as to why I was here in this mission but now...I know I am supposed to be here! 

I love you all!! 

Hna Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment