Monday, January 19, 2015

Week #22 - THe Light of the Lord, and the Darkness of Sin

Hello Family!

Here is a little bit of Latin culture for all of you white people that know next to nothing about them (just like me BEFORE me mission ;D) Every single night around 7 or 8, Latin families (with access to a TV) will stop everything they are doing and watch their Novelas. These are TV dramas that have been jacked up to include 10 times the drama. Let's just say, our week this week has been something out of a novela :)  This week have been so much fun! Truly, novela and all :)   We have 3 different couples we are working with right now and ALL THREE of them need to be married. Phew...I'm very grateful for the Law of Chastity! How can we hear something as profound as this and turn away? How can we ignore the GIFT of the gospel that has been placed before us? Do we truly understand what we actually have? As I have had my eyes truly opened to what I have been given, I have also had my eyes opened to Satan's influence.

We also have been working with 3 amazing girls from Honduras. We call them the 3 Amigas. It's been so much fun because they were Pentecostal before and so they have a quite large store of Biblical knowledge. Being able to complete questions that they have had about biblical verses and open their eyes has been one of the most fulfilling experiences ever. This is their testimony: "Without the gospel, it was like there was a wall in front of our eyes. We could see a little bit in front of us but BARELY. But with the gospel, it's like we now have 360 vision and can see everything so much clearer. The gospel is perfect, without fault. Everything clearly makes sense and answers those deep questions of who we are and why we are here. There is nothing bad in the principles that we have been taught. Our lives have become SO much better. Fuller and happier, the complete opposite than the life we were living before."

This week we also knocked on the door of a lady who was so overcome by her addictions to alcohol and cigarettes that she could not function. I just wanted to hold her.....She was shaking and trying to talk to us as her eyes darted to the fridge where the beer was kept. Her house was in shambles, her face was gaunt, her eyes were hollow, scared and frantic, her mouth was almost toothless....she was falling apart. The word of wisdom is NOT man made. I look at her and know without a doubt that I have a loving Father in Heaven who is all knowing and knew we would need a commandment to keep alcohol, cigarettes and drugs out of our lives! Do not doubt! 
Elder and Sister Zwick came to our mission!

This is Victor!

When I read the Book of Mormon and Bible and come to a part when an evil person  is speaking against the prophets or righteous people, I literally can hear the evil, sinister, twisted voice of the devil saying the words. I shiver as I read the words coming from their mouths and want to just shut the book against the evil I read. He. Is. So. Real.  Why people don't PAY ATTENTION.....I don't know. Scary movies? Why not just chant a satanic prayer and open the door for him? Gossip? He is standing in that circle with you, planting those feelings of insecurity and hate. Don't LISTEN! Stop the thoughts. Push. Him. Out. Yell at him in your head if you need to! Just, protect yourself. This is a PLEA from a missionary watching people's lives torn apart by this evil person who literally LOATHES us. Look at your life, see your actions, WATCH YOURSELF. Now is the time to put on the armor the Lord has given us through the gospel. Just do it. Please.  
 
I love you! Sorry for the mildly depressing upload. I swear I am loving my life, my mission and the changes the Lord continues to make in me :)  

Hna Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment