Monday, June 1, 2015

Week #41 - Purely Lovin'!

Hello Family!!

I loved receiving each of your letter and sweet birthday wishes. I'm excited to work hard on my birthday tomorrow!
 
Now, here is the bad news: I love all of you dearly but if you do not have the Demars or Lake blood running in your veins....I'm going to have to say goodbye for 9 more months. I have finally allowed the realization that emailing friends is much too distracting for me and I need to say, "Hasta Luego!" If you are not family, please, do not send me any further emails or letters. It will be a little hard but I need to focus on the missionary work I have here and when I email you...I think about my loved ones a little too much during the week. Sorry, but this is the more important thing that I have been set apart to do :)  

Now, on to the good stuff!

I have realized that the work of the Lord is not about us; and yet, in a round about way....it actually is. There are TWO circles that revolve repeatedly: the Charity Cycle companions with the Pride Cycle. We begin focusing upon other people; we serve with love and the Lord gives us success. Success can breed addiction, which can be both a good thing and bad thing. We come to a cross road - God sets us on the path where we have to decide if we will claim the glory for ourselves (Pride Cycle) or if we will choose to give the glory to Him and continue with love (Charity Cycle). This is the key to missionary work.

The Fourth Missionary talks about Charity:

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor,‍ and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be‍ prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be‍ tongues, they shall cease; whether there be‍ knowledge, it shall vanish away.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

The BIGGEST difference between a 4th missionary and the other 3 is the difference their service makes in the heart of the missionary. Do we allow God to work in us in order to change our natures? To send us on the path that God wants for us? 

Verse 12 talks about the veil. When we have charity and we are serving with all the we have, we will quickly start to see WHO WE REALLY ARE. God asks us to come on missions to preach the gospel, this is true. But He also asks us to serve missions to save ourselves through the service of our fellow man. This never fails. It will always work. When we lose ourselves for others, that is WHEN WE COME TO KNOW OURSELVES.

That is the miracle that I saw this week. I was talking with my companion during a companion inventory and she mentioned a list of weakness and strengths that she had been writing down. Many of the things written down were compliments I had given her or observations I had made. I realized right then that when I was serving HER, when I was helping HER to see herself without the glass, darkly.....I was slowly taking that off my eyes as well. I was kinder, gentler and more patient. I became more of the Daughter of God that I know I am.  But I took some of that glory. I thought it was a talent I had instead of a gift that I had been given....and it was taken away. I started trying to continue in the path I had before, to help her to see herself and love herself but with no success. Once I realized I had lost my charity....I had lost my success. I had lost the Spirit. God doesn't ask us to baptize the whole world....He asked us to feed His sheep. He pleads with us to just worry about them, help them, be there for them. When we smile continually and love people...they can tell! They aren't stupid. Hopefully, when we present our message with love, they convert; however, when we present it with pride, they will revert. Always.

I'm not suggesting that you buy your impoverished neighbor a new home. I'm not asking you to save the whales. I am asking that you give 2 seconds of your time to LISTEN. Pay attention to your sweet children and what they are telling you. Worry less about the disaster in your house; you will find strength to take care of it when you pour your heart out in charity to another. "CHARITY NEVER FAILETH" If you have sincere charity, you cannot fail. As a mother. As a daughter. As a student. As a missionary. When we do what we do because we have pure love in our hearts....we will have success. It's promised us. CHARITY NEVER FAILETH. 

Decide today if you believe this scripture. If you truly believe what your Savior has promised you.  1 John 4:18 : There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear”  

In memory of our beloved apostle, L. Tom Perry, who passed away this past week, let us all read "Perfect Love Casteth out All Fear" https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/perfect-love-casteth-out-fear?lang=eng A talk given by him in the October 2011 General Conference. It will change your hearts if you allow it, and you don't have to be a missionary :)

I love you all! Be safe friends, see you in 9 months.

Hermana Lake


No comments:

Post a Comment