Monday, May 25, 2015

Week #40 - Humility, Diligence, and Cheerfulness: The Dynamic Trio!

Hello Family :)

"To live greatly, we must develop the capacity to face trouble with courage, disappointment with cheerfulness, and triumph with humility" -President Thomas S. Monson

This week has been HARD! I'm not going to lie.. it is really frustrating to work and work with still no turn out. We fight DAILY to just help...to serve! I'm not asking for much, just that people here receive the blessings that God has waiting for His children....But so many people turn Him away! Gah! As I was reading in the Book of Mormon, I received some really good comfort and a really good smack upside the head.

 In Alma 31 it says:

5 And now, as the preaching‍ of the word‍ had a great tendency to lead‍ the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—...

I realized that I need to do better at using the Book of Mormon when I approached people; to testify more, and to read verses with people. ME preaching what I think is best will get me no where! God knows what is best and has PROMISED us that this will help lead people to do what is just. If I use this sacred volume of scripture that is inspired FOR THESE DAYS then I can help these precious souls remember who they are.

31 O Lord, my heart is exceedingly sorrowful; wilt thou comfort my soul in Christ. O Lord, wilt thou grant unto me that I may have strength, that I may suffer with patience these afflictions‍ which shall come upon me, BECAUSE OF the iniquity of this people.

That brought comfort to me. Here I was thinking that I had been doing something terribly wrong; that my faith still wasn't enough; that mistakes were keeping me from success, but I now understand that the AGENCY of the people plays a big part. My prayers went from prayers of comfort to prayers like Alma: that I would have the patience and the diligence to do God's will.  It is so important that these people see how happy we are. It's something that they don't have....it's something that they want. They may not voice it but they do.  

34 O Lord, wilt thou grant unto‍ us that we may have success in bringing them again unto thee in Christ.

 35 Behold, O Lord, their souls‍ are precious, and many of them are our brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee.

Then I received the smack upside the head....I realized that I had been knocking doors, talking with people, and teaching boldly only because of my own selfish desires. I didn't want to knock anymore doors. I didn't want to go to bed exhausted but not be able to sleep because my head is still spinning with, "How can I find them?". I didn't want to spend 4 hours in the hot, humid weather. I didn't want to be sticky with sweat anymore. Me, Me, Me, Me, ME.  I didn't get it. I hadn't understood what is missionary work. I FORGOT THE POINT! It isn't about me. It never will be about me. It's about them. I then recognized the THOUSANDS of seeds that I had planted. The THOUSANDS of people that I had put on the path to one day being baptized into the one true church of God. It's okay if they are taught by another pair of missionaries. It's okay if I don't get the baptismal statistics....it's not about that - it never was and it never will be. It's about bringing PRECIOUS souls to Christ and unless I do it with love...I will never succeed.

So often in our lives we get caught up in what we THINK is our purpose. But news flash. El UNICO proposito is to return and live with God again. We will not have that opportunity unless we share the gospel. So truly....our purpose in this life is to find the gospel, live the gospel, and then share the gospel WITH LOVE. The motive behind our actions should always be LOVE.

It won't be easy...I will never tell you that it's easy. But I will tell you that God has PROMISED He will make it worth it.

ONCE AGAIN:

"To live greatly, we must develop the capacity to face trouble with courage, disappointment with cheerfulness, and triumph with humility" -President Thomas S. Monson

I love each of you. If you are struggling or just feel like the world is closing in on you....stop. Think about where your motivation is. Re-evaluate. Set out to serve with LOVE and I promise you that you will be surprised with the way the sun suddenly shines brighter and you have a spring in your step. I love you!!

Hermana Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment