Monday, July 6, 2015

Week #46 - Compassion

Familia de los cielos!  

This week was seriously, awesome and wish to share a spiritual experience straight from my heart. This has changed my life. 

Earlier in the week, I was really struggling with a distraction/worry that constantly seemed to linger at the back of my mind. I would push it out and forge on, trying my hardest to be diligent but it kept coming back in the quiet recesses of my mind. It just wouldn't go away! After struggling for a few weeks with this unrelenting nuisance, I broke down and told my companion about it. I explained all that I had been feeling and my confusion; she asked me one thing....."Have you prayed about it yet?"
Outside the Fort Lauderdale Temple
I immediately thought of my mother, who throughout my WHOLE LIFE, would ask the same thing. Whenever I thought about this issue...I immediately had doubts and fears was such a distraction! God has asked me to serve with all my heart, might, mind, and strength...but I couldn't! Why would I pray to Him about something when I felt that I was already doing something that He commanded me NOT to do? However, my companion insisted that I just put aside all of my worries and TRY. I decided to put my faith in a God and pray, even tough I still didn't fully understand. I knelt down and prayed rather tentatively. I still kept most of my feelings in my heart and didn't let them out. I wouldn't  acknowledge my weakness or struggle and just attempted to plead for help to push the distraction out. No dice. Nothing! I knew that I had to give more. I knelt once again and threw all caution to the wind. I explained my fears, my worries for the future, my frustration that this was something bothering me and my desires to be a consecrated missionary of the Lord. Then, the miracle happened. My prayer was answered.

Often we mistakenly believe that God is only a "just" God, who is rigid and unyielding when we struggle with His commandments . That is not true and I testify to each one of you that this thought is a LIE. He is most certainly a God of compassion who loves each of His children with an incomprehensible love that we cannot fully understand. 

Beautiful!
The very first quality listed in Psalms 145:8 is compassion.  "The Lord is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy." If we are ever to understand who God is and how He views our weakness, sins and insecurities, we need to understand compassion. If our desires are pure and if we truly want to do what is right, then we will feel sorrow when we mess up or are imperfect. It is as it should be and is called, "godly sorrow."  However, if we are penitent and desire to be better, then God will offer us something better.  BECAUSE OF HIS COMPASSION, God sent us someone to help. John 3:16 states,"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life"  Our Savior, Jesus Christ, is the GREATEST example of compassion that we have. He literally  "...[suffered] pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith He will take upon Him the pains and the sicknesses of his people [and thereby know how to succor us individually]." (Alma 7:11)  He feels what we feel. He hurts when we hurt. He cries when we cry because of His compassion. He set aside His own wants and desires because of the love He has for each one of us and our well being. He gave up the only thing the Father could not claim - His life and agency - in order to bring about happiness and eternal life for each of us. Could there be a better example?  

When you fall short, don't you dare give in, give up, or give out. Don't you dare think, "Woe is me because I am imperfect and will never measure up." That is a flat out lie sent straight from the adversary. God knew we would be imperfect and that is WHY He sent Jesus Christ? You have a loving, compassionate Father who desires nothing more than His purpose for us. "...men are, that they might have joy." That we might have JOY. NOT guilt trips.  

My invitation to all is to go to the topical guide and to look up compassion. Study it. Learn it. Then create your own definition as to what it means to be compassionate and what is compassion. I did this... and it changed my life. I know my Heavenly Father LOVES me. Really, truly loves me. He wants the best for me and I know that it is no different for you.  

I love each of you!!

Hna Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment