Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Week #49 - Man Down!

Family!!  

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being a missionary. Not just the missionary that works half way but the kind of missionary that you have encouraged me to become.  I feel so fulfilled, hopeful, and led by the Spirit. There have been many times this past week when we did something as a companionship entirely because we FELT we should do it but had no foreknowledge as to the why. It's amazing. I haven't liked writing in my journal because I felt as though I had nothing to say...but now, when I sit down at night, I think of all the AMAZING experiences I had when the Spirit testified to me. I just want to write and write. I've written everyday since transfers! 

Speaking of transfers, my new companion is Sister LeBaron. She is a gift straight from God. Truly. She is so helpful, involved, happy, and easygoing. She does the dishes without me asking! Seriously, I couldn't be more grateful to God for giving her to me now when I would appreciate her most. We have started strong and she has amazing endurance. Funnily enough, she was Sister Gailey (my last companion) MTC companion and they are basically best friends. It's hilarious - we share stories about how much we love Sister Gailey and laugh....all the time. I haven't laughed this much my whole mission and I LOVE IT!  I have such a testimony that happiness is a choice and laughter is side effect. So, if you remember to laugh, you will become super happy. True story. She also loves to quote movies so she is gotten me back into my rusty habits :) Long story short: I love and admire this girl. She is a rock star! 
D&C 121 is one of the best passages of scripture that can ever be applied to us. I learned so much from it this past study. I was studying a lot in this certain passage of scripture and trying to figure out the "why". D&C 121:34 Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen? As I studied more and more, I recognized in verse 37 that each one of the reasons mentioned revolved around one single thing: ME. When we turn inwards instead of outwards we lose the Spirit and God cannot use us. We do not act because WE are afraid for OURSELVES or because WE do not think that WE can. COME ON! God said to LOSE yourself in the work but I didn't get that until now. The only way that we can lose ourselves is by loving those we serve. 

When we truly love people, we gain our fire and do not relent or back down. We are stubborn in our resolve to do what the Lord thinks is best for them. We do not allow them to live any less. For example, when Lehi and his family begin to murmur because of Nephi's broken bow, Nephi STILL acknowledged Lehi as his father and asked where he should go to obtain food. In this way, Nephi treated his father as he should and as a result Lehi was humbled and repented to once again lead the family.

I've had multiple times this week where someone yelled at us, was extremely close minded or just plain angry; however, instead of just giving up, I fought for their soul. I offered truth. I TESTIFIED!  Even Jesus Christ stood up for what He believed in when He cast everyone from the temple in righteous indignation. He knew what was right and stood for nothing less; I plan on doing the same! I have grown to love so many of these amazing people that I will treat them as they should and OUGTH to be. Yesterday we spoke to a man who said that he was fine and would not change. He said that he doesn't keep all the commandments but that he tries. I looked at him and said, "One of God's commandments is to keep the Sabbath day holy. That means going to church. So, if you didn't go to church today, how did you TRY to keep this commandment?" He laughed because he knew I was right and recognized his need to change.

If we truly love these people, we will invite them to repent. We will help them to make changes in their lives.

"[Repentance] is a positive experience that brings joy and peace. Be bold and loving in helping people understand what they must do to repent. By inviting people to make commitments, you can effectively raise a voice of both warning and hope."

If there is someone in your life who is struggling, your testimony and how you treat them can truly redirect their path. By the way you LOVE them and encourage them to higher heights, you will become a force for good that can change the course of their future. Bear your testimony and be firmly rooted in what God has commanded. We are not worthy to judge. That is up to our perfect Savior, BUT we are commanded in Hebrews 12:12, "... to lift up the hands which hang down, and to strengthen the feeble knees".

 "Our comrades are being wounded in the spiritual conflict around us. So are the people we are called to serve and protect from harm. Spiritual wounds are not easily visible, except with inspired eyes

You may have been the only one to sense by inspiration the warning cry. The others may feel, as you will be tempted to think, “Maybe the trouble I thought I saw is just my imagination. What right do I have to judge another? It’s not my responsibility. I’ll leave it alone until he asks for help.” -President Eyring, "Man Down" April 2009 

Don't just leave it alone. YOU can make a difference. There is no such thing as an accident!

I love you all and pray for you daily. The emails and letters I receive truly fill my heart and lighten my life. Thank you so much! Now, please, GO GIVE TO SOME ELSE!  

I love you all!

Hna Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment