Monday, December 28, 2015

Week #71 - Gratitude is the Essence of Life!

This week was wonderful. It awesome to Skype with everyone at Christmas! I love you so much! 

I've been learning more about gratitude. My patriarchal blessing admonishes me a few times to be grateful and I struggle with that quality overall. SO, as I studied, I discovered that many of the things I am working on personally right now can be solved through gratitude. "Remembrance is the seed of gratitude which is the seed of generosity. Gratitude for the remission of sins is the seed of charity, the pure love of Christ." -Henry B. Eyring

I've been completely focused on the work here and be so committed to my purpose that nothing will prevent me from trying to achieve it. It is my #1 priority. Sister Alcazar is a wonderful example of that and has taught me much. One thing in particular that she taught me overall is that it's a choice to be committed. It's a choice to want something. It's a choice to be happy. If you don't believe me, choose to stick to that decision and see what happens ;)  

I've also learned that I can't be everywhere, do everything and be perfect this week. As STLs, We were on exchanges with a certain sister who I knew greatly admired me as a leader. I wanted to make sure that the exchange was helpful for her and I wanted to live up to her expectations. Yep. Nope. Didn't happen. EVERYTHING fell apart. We were late everywhere, members were so difficult, rain poured, doors slammed, investigators dropped us, we got locked out of our house, etc. I won't go on to save your eyes. IT WAS TERRIBLE!! When Sister Alcazar and I were together after the exchange, I confided in her all that had happened and how terrible I felt. I felt that I had failed. She then pointed out, in her faithful wisdom, that what God wanted to happen in that exchange, happened. He needed her to see that. As I sat there and analyzed all of the blessings that no doubt came to her because of what she saw....I was blown away by the Love of God for her and His understanding of her needs. It was really cool. 

At our Christmas Conference this last week, we watched the Nativity. Once again, I was touched by the Love of God. He does not leave us alone in times of trouble; He sends miracles to guide us, and to give us relief. He sends pillars of light to find Him, example: the star. The entire nativity story is filled with examples of Heavenly Father's love. Greatest of all being the gift of our Savior. I hope you all take a moment to try and recognize those small miracles in your life. I testify that they are there!

The area is doing well. I know that God truly does prepare people in His own time and pace. We are teaching a couple who are SUCH a miracle. They are the parents of a member and already read the Book of Mormon on their own and came to church last Sunday, without their daughter. God is working miracles in their lives. Members are able to come out, lessons happen, and investigators are found. I know that as we are dedicated to the Lord's work, involve him, and love the people, it all works out. 

I LOVE YOU ALL!

 "President Spencer W. Kimball said “Those who keep a book of remembrance are more likely to keep the Lord in remembrance in their daily lives. Journals are a way of counting our blessings and of leaving an inventory of these blessings for our posterity.”

As you start to write, you could ask yourself, “How did God bless me today?” If you do that long enough and with faith, you will find yourself remembering blessings. And sometimes, you will have gifts brought to your mind which you failed to notice during the day, but which you will then know were a touch of God’s hand in your life."

I'm doing this. You should too :)

Hna Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment