Monday, November 30, 2015

Week #67 - The Atonement Changes Everything

Dearest Family!

What an awesome couple of days it has been. Sister Alcazar is my new companion, yet another dying Latin ;) I love being with missionaries who are about to go home. Either they have crazy fire or their lack of fire gives me more. Either way, we work hard! She has already taught me so much. One thing that she does super well is getting return appointments with people. I'm trying to be better at giving everyone a really solid chance to accept the gospel and having more faith in finding.

 I started reading the Book of Mormon once again with a special emphasis on what makes these prophets capable servants of the Lord. I love Nephi so much! As I learn more of Nephi and his trials I have been struck by his faith. Every single action or word he places leads him to testify that through God, nothing is impossible! It's been helpful for me to receive that witness as I've received a new calling to serve as an Sister Training Leader (STL). Knowing that through God I can achieve anything helps me to remember that He is on my side and that He wants to help these sisters just as badly as do I. I'm excited!

This was a miracle for me. I've been pleading to understand what God needs for me to do to be the leader He needs and as I've studied about the Atonement, I receive my answer. I recently read a talk by Elder Bednar:

"It is likewise through the grace of the Lord that individuals, through faith in the atonement of Jesus Christ and repentance of their sins, receive strength and assistance to do good works that they otherwise would not be able to maintain if left to their own means."

And it brought to mind a passage in the White Handbook which states, "Opportunities to correct the attitudes or behavior of other missionaries are important teaching moments. When handled with love, these opportunities build faithfulness and effectiveness in those who may otherwise fall short of what the Lord expects of them."

I notice a similar theme. It is through the Atonement that we are able to achieve our true potential and in no other way. My job as an STL is to ensure that these Sisters understand and apply the Atonement in their lives. What better way than to give me responsibilities that I cannot handle in any other way except through the Atonement? 

Many times in our lives Heavenly Father will give us something that we feel we cannot handle; that we feel inadequate to achieve. God has never once called the prettiest, smartest, or most capable to achieve His divine purposes; rather, He has done just the opposite.

He chose a 14 year-old boy with no education to bring about the restoration,  one of the greatest masterpieces known to all mankind. A masterpiece that would bring salvation, happiness, and peace to all who obeyed it. He put all that trust in a 14 YEAR OLD!

He chose Moses to bring about the great liberation of His beloved people.

He chose me to be a missionary.

He chose you to be a Mom or Dad, Aunt or Uncle, Sister, Friend, Visiting Teacher, Relief Society Secretary, Bishop, Elders Quorum President, or Deacon's Advisor.

Long story short, He chose you and Heavenly Father does not make mistakes. I know that for a fact. He has made that obvious to me MANY times. I know it is through Christ that all these things are possible!

I love you all!

Hna Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment